Populus is a leading research and strategy consultancy. We use polling, research, evidence and expertise to provide clients with the critical knowledge they need to make better decisions about their business, organisation or brand.
Interns support the smooth running of the business and the day-to-day management of research studies for clients. This is an opportunity to develop new skills while working in an enjoyable and friendly environment.
This 6 month fixed-term (full-time) internship offers an opportunity to gain first-hand experience and understanding of all aspects of our work. During the internship, you will be focused on reputation and strategy research.
As an Intern your tasks will include:
- Conducting background and desk research on clients to support proposals and marketing activities;
- Checking data and proof reading reports;
- Testing online and telephone surveys;
- Charting research findings;
- Assisting in the design of research studies;
- Assisting in the analysis and reporting of projects;
- Contributing to team discussions;
- Undertaking general office administrations;
- Assist in organising and analysing large datasets;
- Ensuring data protection policies are followed, including completion of all relevant documentation;
- Mapping clients’ stakeholders;
- Making telephone calls to potential research participants and booking interviews;
- Processing of charity donations;
- Conducting stakeholder research interviews and attending and taking notes at focus groups.
You will be taught each of these skills as they become relevant by a more senior member of the team and then supported by the whole team throughout your time with us. There will also be formal training opportunities provided by our internal Knowledge Exchange program.
Required Skills and Abilities
Populus employs people who can be relied upon to take responsibility and be accountable for their work. We encourage enthusiasm, creativity and ambition.
It is essential that Interns have:
- A wide sphere of knowledge and interests, including current affairs and business;
- Good attention to detail;
- Good organisation and time-management skills;
- Excellent writing and numerical skills;
- The ability to use initiative and a strong desire to learn new skills;
- Enthusiasm and a ‘can-do’ attitude;
- Confidence in the use of Microsoft Office applications;
- Ability to cope with competing demands and to prioritise tasks.
It is desirable that Interns have:
- A degree level qualification;
- The ability to use qualitative and/or quantitative research techniques;
- Professional interpersonal skills;
- Good problem-solving abilities;
- Experience of or interest in applying statistical techniques is a bonus but not required.
- London Living Wage
- 25 days holiday per year;
- Citical Life insurance at four times annual salary
Application Closing Date: 15 September 2019
Interview dates are TBC.
Provisional start date end of September 2019.
Provisional Internship end of date is end of March 2020.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should have ‘Research and Strategy intern (corporate reputation)’ in the subject line.
Your application should be made up of two separate pdf documents:
- Your CV
- A short covering letter, explaining why you would be suitable for the role and how it will advance your career
Populus Limited is part of the Populus Group (PGL). The group also includes Populus Data Solutions (PDS), and BrandCap. PDS provide field and tab services to Populus and other research agencies and BrandCap are a brand consultancy.
We exist to equip companies and individuals with the deep understanding they need, of their markets, audiences and brands, to drive success in a world overwhelmed with data. We call this Critical Knowledge and we deliver it through:
- our expertise across consumer, corporate, market, political and reputation research;
- our market-leading fieldwork operation with a rigorous focus on providing quality data;
- our exceptional strategists and researchers; and
- our leading edge suite of products and services.
Over the past ten years, our work has formed the basis of significant corporate, political and consumer campaigns and has helped clients launch new products, build their reputation with key audiences, win local and national elections and generate increased sales.
Our team of researchers and consultants is based in London but works internationally and includes experts in qualitative, quantitative and omnibus research, as well as senior strategists from the worlds of business, politics, marketing and communications.
We are proud to be a founding member of the British Polling Council and to abide by the Code of Conduct of the Market Research Society of Great Britain.
We are ambitious for the future and have set ourselves some clear goals – including our 2020 vision that by the year 2020 Populus Limited will:
- Have achieved accreditation (or other recognition) as an excellent employer;
- Be regarded by our clients as the best in our field and recognised for always delivering critical knowledge;
- Have achieved turnover of £20 million.
In line with our 2020 vision, we are delighted to confirm that we have recently achieved the Investors in People Silver accreditation.
We work together across the company and with our sister companies to pool our knowledge and abilities for the benefit of our clients. While our talents are diverse, we are united by our values:
- We are accountable for our judgement, our actions and the work we do.
- We hire people who can be relied upon consistently to deliver their best work.
- We are approachable and collaborative.
- We are accountable and we can be trusted.
- We admire people who are self-aware, self-disciplined and who are happy to be accountable.
- We are disciplined and precise.
- We are driven by evidence and embrace the consequences.
- We see the wood and the trees.
- We test ourselves to the highest standards.
- We admire people who are self-motivating, self-improving and who behave like a leader.
- We never stop learning.
- We question and challenge.
- We are creative in seeking new ways to help solve our clients’ problems.
- We don’t stop until the job is done.
- We admire people who are enthusiastic, entrepreneurial and forward thinking.
- We are ambitious for our clients and ourselves.
- We are inspired by our clients’ needs.
- We care for our clients and each other.
- We don’t wait to be told what to do.
- We admire people who take responsibility and muck in – if something needs doing (no matter how big or small) they are happy to do it.